Faecal Bacteria Found in Ice in UK Coffee Chains
Undercover investigators for BBC Watchdog found faecal bacteria in ice served at Costa, Starbucks and Caffe Nero.
Faecal bacteria can cause diarrhoea if ingested, which is especially problematic for those with compromised immune systems.
Worse still, the presence of faecal bacteria indicates that other disease-causing pathogens may be present, as microbiologist Philip Tierno explains:
“Where there are fecal bacteria present it is an indicator that there could be other germs…. like Norovirus or hepatitis A or Salmonella”.(1)
How did this happen? Expert Rob Kingsley, explains:
“It is an indicator that somewhere there has been some kind of breakdown in hygiene or the source of the water used for this ice.” (2)
What can you do to protect yourself at home, and how can you ensure your workplace is clean and safe?
- Remove bacteria at source. Our water purification systems remove the faecal bacteria present in tap water, so if you have one at home, your office or food/drink business, you are already removing it at source. If not, you can purchase or rent one now, from as little as £1 a day.
- Correct hand washing. Clean hands prevent the spread the bacteria, so follow the World Health Organisation’s procedure for correct hand washing. Click here to view. (3)
Starbucks predicts that 50% of its beverage sales will be cold drinks by 2021(4), so it’s especially important that food and drink businesses take all steps to protect their customers, staff and reputations from faecal contamination in ice, water and on surfaces.
We’d like to reassure our domestic and commercial customers that our water purification systems remove faecal bacteria at source (along with a myriad of other bacteria, organisms and contaminants), providing extra peace of mind.
If you’d like advice on installing a Pure H2O tap water purifier at home, your office or hospitality venue, call us now on 01483 617 000 or visit our website www.PureH2O.co.uk We’d be delighted to advise you.
1. ‘Reports of fecal bacteria in iced coffee at chains like Starbucks are a red flag for bigger problems, a scientist explains’ UK Business Insider 29.06.17 http://uk.businessinsider.com/feces-bacteria-coffee-iced-drinks-2017-6?r=US&IR=T accessed 30.06.17
2. ’Faecal bacteria found in ice from Costa, Caffè Nero and Starbucks’ Guardian 28.06.17 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/28/faecal-bacteria-found-ice-three-major-uk-chains-caffe-nero-starbucks-costa-coffee accessed 30.06.17
3. ‘Clean Care is Safer Care’ World Heath Organisation http://www.who.int/gpsc/clean_hands_protection/en/ accessed 30.06.17
4. ‘Starbucks Sees Future Sales Growth Fueled by Food, Cold Coffee Beverages’ CNBC http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/07/starbucks-sees-future-sales-growth-fueled-by-food-cold-coffee-beverages.html accessed 30.06.17
Image credit: Shutterstock